Thursday 12 June 2008

Day -5:

Preparations are now well underway for our week of homelessness. Although James and myself won't be back in oxford until Saturday, we've been scheming from our corners of the country as to how we set out. The plan is that on Sunday evening we go to church with our sleeping bags in hand and set out onto the mean streets straight from there. My list of what to take currently includes the sleeping bag (probably most important), a phone (with a charger), little notebook, rucksack (with a change of underwear or two!) and a bible.

Perhaps this is because I haven't realised how tough this week may be yet, I'm not currently feeling too daunted, though I know it's not going to be easy. It should be really nice to spend the week with James, we don't see enough of each other - although I'm sure there'll be frayed nerves at some points! Being around someone 24/7 often proves a bit too much (though it sure beats being on your own).

So, things I'm looking forward to: number one, as I've said, spending some time with Jim. Secondly, simplifying my life a little bit for a week - people tell me it's good for the soul! Also having some time which isn't filled up with all the bustle of university or work (or is that the same as the last thing?). I think I'm looking forward to the challenge of trying to find ways to get by, trying our hand at busking, finding scraps of informal work or whatever we can manage.

Things I'm less looking forward to: being beaten up - that would be rubbish. The sleeping; I tend to like my comfortable bed and get quite uncomfortable even when just camping or whatever, so who knows how I'll feel after 7 nights sleeping wherever we can. Also the flip side to the simplicity: having to find something to spend all that time doing! I've been told the boredom can be one of the worst things. One other thing I'm definitely not relishing the anticipation of is being really hungry - I hope we can find enough food!

That's all for now - watch this space.
Chris.

No comments: